Welcome to Saham Toney Parish Council Website
According to The Oxford Dictionary of English Place Names the Saxon word Saham means a hamlet on the lake. The Saham Toney village sign depicts Roger de Toni, William the Conqueror’s standard bearer, who became Lord of the manor. With him he has a large white dog and behind him we can see the lake, which is approximately 15 to 16 acres across in size and thickly bordered by trees.
From the last published census in 2001 Saham Toney Parish covers an area of 1651 hectares with a population of 1565 persons over the age of 18 and 680 houses. The population has increased since then.
The Church of St. Georges is a handsome flint building with a tower containing 6 bells and a clock. The Church has some very beautiful stained glass windows, the east window of the chancel portrays the Last Supper, this was a gift by the late Rev. W. H. Parker, who restored the whole building at considerable expense in 1864.
Saham Toney is a village and Civil Parish in the county of Norfolk and for the purpose of local government comes under Breckland District Council. The village is approximately nine miles from East Dereham, two miles from Watton and eight miles from Swaffham.
Within the village there is; a public house called the Old Bell and Broom Hall Country Hotel. The village also has Parker’s School which is a Church of England Primary school with just over 100 pupils.
There is a well used Sports and Social Club with a hard working committee that keep the sports grounds in excellent condition for football and cricket matches throughout the year, there is a small bar for members and their guests.
The Village Hall is also known as the Wells-Cole Community Centre. It is a very popular venue for entertainment, weddings and parties, and many local clubs and activities. There is a bar which is open to all.